PROF. DR GORDANA GASMI, Research Fellow in the Institute of Comparative Law, Full professor at the University Union “Nikola Tesla” Belgrade, has published numerous books, scientific essays and expert papers in the field of theory of law, the European law and policies and international law in Serbian and English. She speaks and writes in English and French, and has a working knowledge of Italian. In recent period, she is dealing with gender equality research and academic writing on European standards of combating violence against women and domestic violence. Prof. dr Gordana Gasmi, in her capacity of the Council of Europe and the UNDP expert, held numerous seminars on women human rights and gender equality issues in more than ten countries of Europe and Asia. She is a President of the Managing Board of NGO Pandora in Montenegro (www.pandora.com) dealing with prevention of gender based and domestic violence.
Prof. dr Gordana Gasmi has worked extensively with international governmental and non-governmental organizations across a wide range of professional activities, covering research, academic and advisory expert functions. She is an active participant in numerous international and domestic scientific conferences, she was a lecturer at the Summer School of European Foreign Policy in Berlin, organized by the German Institute for Foreign Affairs (www.dgap.org). She is a member of the Scientific Committee and the Visiting Professor at the Law Faculty, Cluj Napoca, Romania and at the Law Faculty of the University in Istanbul. She was also a guest lecturer at the Center for Geo - Strategic Studies at the Sorbonne, at the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris and at the Law Faculty of the University of Montesquieu in Bordeaux, France. Besides her research and professor’s work, she has more then twenty years of professional experience with harmonisation of legislation with the EU Acquis, in law drafting and in related preparatory work for the EU association / accession, including policy implementation and coordination among stakeholders in Serbia and in the region. Prof. Dr Gasmi has over twenty years of experience in providing high level expert advice and training on EU integration and harmonization of national laws with EU Acquis directly for the Governments of the region, within the donor-funded projects. Prof. dr Gasmi was engaged in the preparation and implementation of national policy documents / papers and action plans in line with the EU Acquis, including with the related negotiations and coordination. Prof. dr Gasmi possess direct experience in the EU accession process, since she was appointed as a Special Advisor, who provided advice and analytical support to the SAA negotiating team of the State Office for EU integration of Serbia & Montenegro from 11/2005 until 05/2006.
Other relevant information – written books:
- “The Artificial Intelligence in the EU Legal System”, Belgrade, book, co-authors Prlja D. & Korać V., pp. 285, 2021.
- “Quo Vadis EU? – Relevant Legal and Institutional Factors”, Belgrade, book, pp. 319, 2016.
- “Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence - Legal Commentary of the Convention”, Belgrade, book, pp. 122, 2012.
- “Theory of Law and fondamentals of legal system of the EU”, Belgrade, book, pp. 412, 2012, 2013, 2014, (reprint)
- “EU Law and Institutions”, Belgrade, book, pp. 320, 2008,
- “Mapping of Ex-ante Policy Impact Assessment Experiences and Tools in Europe” – UNDP, Bratislava, book, 2007
- “EU reforms – Institutional aspects”, book, Belgrade 2004, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Prometej Beograd
- “Harmonization with the EU definition of SMEs - guidelines for Serbia in the field of state aid”, Scientific Journal “Law and Economy”, No 7-9/2008, pp. 662 - 674., 2008.
- “EU Principles on State Aid in the context of Stabilization and Association Process - Guidelines for harmonization in Serbia”, Scientific Journal “Finance”, No 1-6/2007, Bgd, pp. 65 – 95
- "EU State Aid- EU Guidelines on National Regional Aid for the period 2007–2013.", Collection of proceedings, Law Faculty of the Belgrade University, 2011, pp. 74 – 89
Country / Countries of Residence: Serbia
Member of the CAHVIO Committee of the Council of Europe in charge for drafting Istanbul Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (2009-2011), Strasbourg, France;
Member of the Scientific Committee of the “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University, Faculty of Law Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Human rights Expert of the Council of Europe
Specific training experience – training of adults, conducting of expert thematic seminars and workshops in more than 10 countries of Europe and Asia on gender-based violence and domestic violence to judiciary and police representatives
Engagement in the EU project on “EU Support to the Judicial Academy of Serbia” (EuropeAid/135635/IH/SER/RS) as senior trainer of judges and prosecutors on gender issues and combating gender-based violence and domestic violence (2017 – 2019)
Working experience in Gender Equality since: 2009
Professional Position / Role
Area of Expertise
Sectors of Work Experience
Research Funding Organisations
PhD, International and European Law and International Relations, Faculty of Law, Belgrade State University, Serbia (10/1999 – 04/2004)
CV: Download CV
List of Publications: http://iup.rs/istrazivaci/#biografija-ggisma
Availability for Trainings
Decision-makers (top-level management)
Gender Equality activists / promoters
Gender Equality change agents
Gender Equality researchers / scholars
Training Content Types